Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Year In The Mirror

When my drinking started getting completely out of control, my body changed drastically. My arms and legs were twigs, and my stomach and face swelled. I looked horrific. Sick. Dying. Because I was. Now that I'm five months sober, I look, well, like me again. I've started a Flickr set to document the beginning of the year I started looking at myself again, starting on my birthday, June 30th. It's work for me. It's still very hard for me to look at myself, to look at the person who almost died due to my own emotions and resulting actions, who medical professionals were convinced was not going to make it. But I'm doing this as a project of survival, and the beginnings of accepting and loving myself - maybe for the first time.

A Year In The Mirror.

3 comments:

Sada said...

You look beautiful. I'm especially into the headband. My amended vote is: Keep the hair! More headbands!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally loving the current hair!! In fact, I'm quite jealous of the current hair.

laeoux74 said...

I agree with both other comments about the hair.

Also, I want to tell you how proud I am of you and every chance I get even if no one asks I tell people how awesome you are doing and how beautiful you are.

So what if half of them have no idea who you are?

xo,
L